Velotio has been instrumental in our adoption of DevOps and Continuous Delivery transformation. They quickly setup a team of software devs and DevOps architects with expertise across various platforms and toolsets.
The client is a fast-growing Real Estate Tech company in Southern California. The customer has distributed engineering teams across the US and the globe. The customer has several award winning products and services catering to the realtors.
- Moved customer from Heroku to AWS without any disruption.
- Reduced architectural and operational costs by 62.7%. Set up failure detection algorithms, anomaly detection, and alerting mechanisms for easy monitoring and to ensure bottlenecks are detected proactively
- The 6-month release cycle was finally replaced with the daily release cycles enabled via Continuous Delivery and infrastructure automation processes set up with AWS
The customer had manual releases processes, non-standard infrastructure architecture across all the products, error-prone scripts for infrastructure management, tribal knowledge limited to a few individuals. These factors were limiting the customers’ ability to develop high quality code, work at scale , improve release times and manage costs . In turn, this slowed down business growth. The customer finally decided to engage with Velotio - a leading Cloud & DevOps practitioner to overhaul their entire infrastructure.
Velotio deployed a set of DevOps Architecture and Engineers to :
- Understand the current business challenges.
- Understand the existing architecture and processes around it.
- Identify gaps & challenges.
Based on the above, Velotio’s architected and then implemented a solution that addressed all the above mentioned challenges.
At a high level, Velotio helped with the following:
- Standardised infrastructure architecture across all the product lines providing much required flexibility and elasticity.
- Design and Implement continuous integration and delivery processes for all the product lines increasing agility and reducing release times.
- Ensure all the critical services are highly available, scalable, have strong monitoring with alerts and associated remediation.
The customer faced many challenges with the current state of affairs.
- The overall infrastructure was split across multiple cloud providers including Heroku and AWS.
- Each application and its associated environments had different architecture with limited or no documentation.
- Most of the processes around maintenance, management and releases had little or no automation.
- Monitoring, Alerts and Remediation for the applications were not setup correctly and prevented the ability to take preemptive measures.
After the review of the challenges and business issues Velotio’s team of Cloud & DevOps architects implemented the following changes
- Standardised all the infrastructure to one cloud provider - AWS
- Define and Implement a Service Architecture for the production environments with the following features:
- All infrastructure is defined as code using Terraform and Ansible. Additionally, GitOps was implemented to track changes to the infrastructure.
- The environment is secure with restricted access using strong IAM policies, VPNs and using Hashicorp’s Vault to store secrets.
- Strong Monitoring practices were implemented including Log monitoring, Metrics monitoring with Alerts to notify Support team for remediation.
- Velotio also setup a Continuous Integration & Delivery pipeline for each product line. The pipeline consisted of unit tests, functional/integration tests, static code analysis, linting and build promotions across QA, Staging and Production environments.
- Velotio adopted best practices like right-sizing server sizes, Spot Instances and Reserved Instances to reduce overall AWS costs.
After working with the customer, Velotio was able to overhaul their Infrastructure and prove the following business value:
Our team enjoyed working with Velotio's DevOps team. It felt more like a partnership where Velotio's team was genuinely interested in understanding and solving our challenges than just working with another Vendor.
Right from renting out an exclusive office space to setting up robust technology architecture, handling payroll and other local administrative task
Fast-track your hiring by selecting from our pool of carefully-screened talent pipeline or get dedicated recruiters to build your dream team of highly-skilled engineers that match your precise requirements.
Ensure foolproof NDAs. We honor it not only at a company level, but also at an individual level as each member who joins your team signs it as well.
Velotio Technologies is an offshore product development partner for mission-driven technology startups across the globe. We combine business expertise and cutting-edge technology to drive success for our customers and help them win in their chosen markets.